Position & Practice Location
Interventional Pain Physician
Interventional Pain Specialists
340 Thomas More Parkway, Suite 260
Crestview Hills, KY 41017
10/2015 to present
George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia
Double Major, Pre-Med and Japanese
8/1995 – 8/1999
- Georgetown University, Washington D.C.
Non-degree Consortium studies in Japanese
- Graduate Education
National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland
Non-degree, Pharmacology, Statistics, Molecular Biology/DNA/RNA techniques
Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia
8/2000 – 5/2005
M.D. 5/21/2005 (Graduation Day)
- University of Rochester, Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester, New York
Internship and Anesthesiology Residency PGY 1 – 4
7/2005 – Graduation 5/2009
University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland
Fellowship in Interventional Pain PGY 5
- ABA Board Certification in Anesthesiology
- ABPM Board Certification in Pain Management
- ABMS/ABA Board Certificate in Pain Management
- ABMS Board Certification Hospice and Palliative Care
- ABAM Board Certification Exam in Addiction Medicine
- ABMS Board Certification in Addiction Medicine
- 2012 – 2013 American Society of Addiction Medicine - Member
- 2010 – 2012 Graduate Medical Education Committee LSU
- 2010 – 2012 Society of Academic Anesthesiology Associations - Member
- 2010 – 2012 LSU Shreveport, Cancer Committee Member
- 2009 – 2012 American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians - Member
- 2008 New York State Society of Anesthesiologists Resident Delegate to A.S.A.
- 2004 – 2012 American Society of Anesthesiologists
- 2005 – 2009 New York State Society of Anesthesiologists
- 2005 – 2012 International Anesthesia Research Society
- 2005 – 2008 Residency Education Committee for Anesthesiology University of Rochester, NY
- 2000 – 2005 American Medical Association
- 2000 – 2005 American Medical Student Association
- 2000 - 2005 Medical Society of Virginia
- 2000 - 2005 Richmond Academy of Medicine
- 2000 - 2005 American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- 2000 - 2005 Student Interest Groups: Surgery, Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Family Practice, and Psychiatry.
- 1995 - 1999 Golden Key National Honor Society
- 1995 – 1999 Alpha Epsilon Delta, the Pre-Medical Honor Society
- 7/2016 to 9/2017: Addiction Specialist work at Integrated Chemical Addiction Network (iCAN)
- 10/15 to Present: Interventional Pain Physician at Interventional Pain Specialists. www.ipainspecialistis.com
- 2/13 to 9/15: CEO and Directing Physician of Cornerstone Pain & Restoration, LLC.
- 8/13 to 12/13: General Anesthesia for Woodburn Endoscopy Center in Annandale, Virginia. (Comphealth Locums)
- 3/13 to 8/13: General Anesthesia for Anne Arundel Medical Center (Hospital) and Surgery Centers, Annapolis, Maryland. (Comphealth Locums)
- 1/13 to 3/13: General Anesthesia for Strategy Anesthesia with ASC/Endoscopy Centers in Hollywood, Prince Frederick & Calvert, Maryland. (Staffcare Locums)
- 10/12 to 2/13: Interventional Pain at NOVA International Pain Management in Bel Air, Maryland. (Comphealth Locums)
- 9/12: General Anesthesia at Glenwood Regional Medical Center, Monroe, Louisiana. (Staffcare Locums)
- 7/2010 – 9/2012
Employed by Louisiana State University Health Science Center - Shreveport
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Director of Interventional Pain
Multidisciplinary Anesthesiologist – Averaging 40 hours per month General Anesthesia in addition to running Pain Department.
Associate Program Director of Pain Fellowship Program until 12/2011, then Program Director of Pain Fellowship Program.
- 7/2010 – 9/2012 Saint Joseph’s Hospice, Shreveport, Louisiana Associate Medical Director of Hospice
- 2/2011 Employed by Veterans Healthcare Administration Director of Interventional Pain and Pain Procedure Clinic
- 7/2009 – 7/2010 Employed by University of Maryland Medical Systems Interventional Pain Fellow
- 7/2005 – 6/2009 Employed by University of Rochester, Strong Memorial Resident Internship & Anesthesiology Residency
- 7/1999 – 7/2000
Stanley Laboratory of Brain Research
The position at the Stanley Brain Research Laboratory in Bethesda, Maryland was as a full time research assistant. Work was done in conjunction with the Center for Brain Disease of NIMH and the Psychiatry Department of Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences. Research pertained to the nature and etiology of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and depression through various studies performed on post-mortem brain samples. My primary responsibilities were molecular biology, PCR, Immunohistochemistry, FISH, and gel electrophoresis.
- 7/1999 – 7/2000
Emergency Room Technician
My duties included performing EKGs, Foley placement, phlebotomy, CPR during codes, splinting limbs, stocking, keeping inventory, and training new employees.
Pain Fellows Mentored
- Leonard "Dale" Morgan, D.O. – Graduate of Pain Fellowship LSUHSCS 2012
- Seth Billiodeaux, M.D. – Graduate of Pain Fellowship LSUHSC 2012
- Kalyan Kalava, M.D. – Graduate of Pain Fellowship LSUHSC 2013
- Pavan Telang, M.D. – Graduate of Pain Fellowship LSUHSC 2013
Conference & Symposium Production and Assistance
- Shah Foundation Visiting Professorship in Anesthesiology
- Activity Directors: Dr. Bipin Shah & Dr. Charles Roberts
- Current Issues in Electronic Distraction & NEURO-ICU Ventilator Management
- Professor Peter J. Papadakos, Professor of Neurosurgery, Anesthesiology, and Critical Care. May 19, 2012. LSU Health Shreveport Main Auditorium
- 19th Annual C.W. Feist Scientific Symposium. Palliative Care: A Shifting Paradigm. Charles Roberts, M.D. – Guest Speaker on Interventional pain for Cancer Patients August 10, 2012
Journal of Clinical Rheumatology Vol. 19, Number 5, August 2013
Response of Primary Erythromelalgia to Pregabalin Therapy
Kalyan Kalava, MD, Charles Roberts, MD, Jeffrey Adair, MD, Vidya Raman, MD
Open Journal of Anesthesiology, 2012, *, **-**
A Case Study In the Use of Capsaicin In the Treatment of Neuropathic Chest Wall Pain and Postthoracotomy Intercostal Neuralgia.
Charles Roberts, MD, Leonard Morgan, DO, et al. (Accepted for publication, date of publication pending.)
Glossopharyngeal neuralgia secondary to vascular compression in a patient with multiple sclerosis: a case report.
Gaitour E, Talebzadeh Nick S, Roberts C, Gonzalez-Toledo E, Munjampalli S, Minagar A, Vrooman B, Souzdalnitski D, Zamanifekri B.
J Med Case Rep. 2012 Jul 19;6(1):213. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 22812720 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Multiple sclerosis and pain
Saeed Talebzadeh Nick; Charles Roberts; Seth Billiodeaux; Debra Elliott Davis; Behrouz Zamanifekri; Mohammad Ali Sahraian; Nadejda Alekseeva; Sai Munjampalli; Joann Roberts; Alireza Minagar
Neurological Research (ISSN: 01616412)
Appeared or available online: 21 August 2012
Regional Anesthsia & Pain Med. 2011 Sep-Oct; 36(5):457-60.
Interventional pain physicians' experiences of and attitudes toward surgical privileging.
Wright TB, Enu I, Stansbury LG, Roberts C.
2008-2009 Resident Survival Guide, 7th Edition. Editor.
ASA Annual Meeting Washington D.C. – October 2012
Medically Challenging Cases Poster Presentation
Capsaicin in the Treatment of Neuropathic Chest Wall Pain and Postthoracotomy Intercostal Neuralgia.
C. Roberts, L. Morgan, K. Hall.
(Accepted for presentation)
ASRA National Meeting New Orleans, LA Fall 2011
Glossopharyngeal neuralgia in a patient with multiple sclerosis and vascular compression of glossopharyngeal nerve
E.Gaitour1, S.Nick2, C.Roberts3, E.Gonzalez-Toledo2,4, S.Munjampalli2, A.Minagar2, B.Vrooman1, D.Sou
Grand Rounds Presentations
Department of Anesthesiology Grand Rounds at LSUHSC in 5/2011
"A Systematic Approach to the Anesthesiology Oral Board Exam"
Department of Anesthesiology Grand Rounds at LSUHSC in 1/2011
"Neuropathic Pain and CRPS I & II"
Neurology Department Grand Rounds at LSUHSCS on12/17/2010.
"Treatment of Spasticity."
Department of Orthopedic Surgery Grand Rounds at LSUHSC in 9/2010
"CRPS Type I & II: Physiology, Pharmacology, Diagnosis & Management."
State of Louisiana
Department of Justice
Expert Witness: Charles Arthur Roberts, M.D. 4/2012
Medical Review Panel Member: Charles Arthur Roberts, M.D. 7/2012
Attorney Chairman & Judge: Andrew B. Gallagher
6/2002 – 7/2002
Student-run Medical Mission Trip
Doctor Recruiter, Organizer, Clinician
I helped organize and recruit doctors for a student run medical mission trip to Roraima, Brazil, located just north of the Amazon. The group provided medical care to the indigent and indigenous tribes of the area. This provided a valuable, hands-on learning experience.
6/2001 – 6/2002
American Medical Association
President of Student Chapter at MCV
During my year as president of the MCV-AMA student chapter, highlights were 1) Helping to establish “Healing Eagle Clinic”, 2) Sponsoring the Crossover Clinic Health Fair, 3) Offering a legislative elective, 4) receiving a policy promotion grant to help end domestic violence, 5) voting on the national level at the AMA conference on important issues, e.g. residency hours, the anti-tobacco campaign, funding adolescents with PKU, and other issues.
1/1999 – 5/1999
Bread and Water for Africa 501 (c) 3, NPO / NGO
Assistant to Executive Director
I volunteered as an Intern at Bread and Water for Africa a special project under Christian Relief Services 501 (c) 3. I assisted executive director, Jennifer Patterson in evaluating and supporting relief projects. I also assisted in the assets manager in medical supply, vitamin, food and clothing inventory and shipment.
1/1999 – 5/1999
Woodbridge Nursing Home and Rehabilitation Center
Social Work Assistant
I volunteered as assistant social activities coordinator and social work assistant.
7/1999 – 7/2000
Stanley laboratory of Brain Research
Research Assistant to Dr.Linda Bobo
My primary research project was the measurement of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in the perforant pathway and entorrhinal cortex of the hippocampus and their relation to sensory auditory gating. It required the use of immunohistochemistry, PCR, DNA isolation, FISH, gel electrophoresis and other molecular biology techniques.
9/1998 – 5/1999
Shared Research Institute Facility
Research Assistant to Dr.Jennifer Isbister
I interned with Dr.Isbister, testing fungal metabolites for antibiotic capabilities and doing qualitative analysis on saccharides containing antifreeze capabilities.
Honors and Awards
1994 Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America
1997 Awards in “Extemporaneous Speech” and “After Dinner Speech” Categories at the Sydney Presser Forensics Tournament, New York University
1998 Recipient of Arlington Hospital Blue Star Award in patient care excellence
1999 Recipient of Arlington Hospital Gold Star Award in patient care excellence
2008 Recipient of Strong Star Award in patient care excellence
Hobbies and Interests
I am an Assistant Scout Master in the Boy Scouts and enjoy scouting in my free time. I am also active in my Church and love Jesus Christ.
2002 – 2003: I sang in the bilingual acapella group Osakapella.
2000 – 2002: I sang in the MCV acapella group, "The Notochords". I helped record a CD of our repertoire.
1999 – Present: I have trained in Brazilian Ju-Jitsu under various instructors and am currently a purple belt. Likewise for Judo, and am currently a yellow belt. I have successfully competed in several competitions.